Thursday, May 1, 2014

BLACK BEAN AND CORN PASTA SALAD WITH FRESH LIME AND CILANTRO DRESSING


NOTES

  1. You MUST use fresh lime juice, not that icky stuff in a plastic lime, if you want great flavor.
  2. Make it with a little twist, add about 1/2 a box of bow tie pasta and double the dressing to compensate. It makes a great pasta salad! 
  3. Sever with tortilla chips or add them.
  • This was the first time I made this dish and it was very good BUT I used too much pasta -- you can see it made a huge salad -- I think using too much pasta diluted the flavors of the beans, corn and dressing. Less is more.
  • I didn't add the avocado because I couldn't get a good one.
  • I didn't realize it when I was looking at the ingredients but as I was putting everything together I felt like I was making a burrito at Chipotle. 



Shopping List
  • ⅓ cup fresh lime juice (about 4 very well squeezed or 5 not so well squeezed)
  • the zest of 2-3 limes 
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I always use Kosher) 
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
  • 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 6 green onions, thinly sliced
  • ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)


DIRECTIONS
  1. Place lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar.
  2. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
  3. In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, bell pepper, green onions, and cilantro.
  4. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad.
  5. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing.
  6. Add the tomato and avocado very last, after mixing the dressing in with the other ingredients, and serve. 

3 comments:

  1. God this looks good! It's why this blog is BOOKMARKED!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, can't wait to give this recipe a try! It's about time to start making your Champagne cocktail again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sean….made this incredible pasta salad last night for Mother's Day last night. Incredible. It was amazing. But it was even more delicious after a night in fridge. No doubt that the next few days it will become even more brilliant. I made about 1/3 box of the pasta. And only one can of the beans (when I put all the ingredients in and one can of beans, it seemed like adding another can would make it too much of that ingredient).

    I also made your "Sun Cocktail".

    The salad was part of a fondue meal that I made last night for mother and her best friend.

    This recipe, like everything Shawn does, was perfect.

    Bon apetit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

CROSSPOST